UHNA Annual Meeting
May 14, 2015
6:35 – Jessica – Welcome, Call to Order and IntrCooduction of Current Board
6:46 – State of the Association & Budget
- Summer Picnic – 300 People attended, 15 Businesses were involved
- Santa & Mrs. Claus – 100+ people attended
- Easter Bunny and Egg Hunt – 85+ people
- City Council Election Forum w/League of Women Voters
- New Board Members including: Communication Chair, Community Interest Chair, and Safety Liaison
6:56 – LisaGarden Overview
7:00 – Andy
- Sonja and the Farmers Market will be represented at the Annual UHNA Picnic on August 8th will be there as well.
- Park Bench Dedication
- UHNA and UHNC (UHills North Community) Boundaries
- UHNA is from Yale South to Hampden and Colo. Blvd. to I-25
- Warren Community recently changed their name to UHNC
- Giving autonomy to UHNC which has more businesses than we have
- Andy read the resolution to break the two organizations into individual associations by the above named boundaries
- UHNA will request the City to recognize UHNC as their own association (see resolution attached) and this will help them for zoning items, etc.
- UHNC will have approximately 450 residences & 400 businesses
- UHNA will have approximately 1800 residences and 100 businesses
7:13 – Amanda:
Upcoming UHNA Annual Picnic
- Kids Area including carnival games
- During Denver Days – Permit Fees are waived
- Bradley Farmers Market
UHNA Dinner Nights Out – Fundraiser
A portion of the proceeds come back to the UHNA
- Beau Jo’s
- Suggestions and ideas
- Haunted Houses for Trick or Treating
Motion made and passed to spend the $550 for the Picnic
7:19 – Officer Bogert, District 3 Liason (Tips and Prevention & UHills Crime Prevention)
- DPD doesn’t see what actual individuals post
- DPD can post about happenings in the neighborhood
- Get in touch and KNOW your neighbors
- More burglaries in UHNC especially around business
- City wide increase in garage burglaries
- Particularly bike thefts
- Look for a timed device on line that automatically closes the garage door after a period of time.
- Google – Auto Garage Door Closer, or Garage Door Butler, Garage Guardian.
- Theft from motor vehicles – smash windows and grab items. Use common sense and don’t leave items in the car. Hide in trunk or better yet, take in the house.
- Crime rates haven’t really increased, but with technology we are all more aware of what is happening in the area.
- Be sure to report anything sketchy! DPD will send someone out.
- If in doubt whether to call or not, DO!!
- Response times vary on severity of crime…shootings, stabbings first, people on a construction site after hours – mid-importance, burglary after the fact is on a lower level.
- Nuisances, pot-holes, etc. can go to 311 or pocketgov.org
- Detailed crime statistics can be found at: Denver.gov website, crime stats, mapping
- Heroin usage is on the rise in CO
7:35 – Peggy Lehmann and Kendra Black Introduction
- Beginning May 5th Councilwoman
- She grew up in Eisenhower Park Area
- Will be sworn in June 20th Kendra Black will take over as District 4 City
7:40 Board Member Elections – (By-Laws are on the website)
- A Commitment of 4-6 hours per month. Some months more, some less
- Committee work is typically less
Elections for Open Positions – Nominations
- President – Andy Farr
- VP – Mike Silverstein
- Treasurer – Laura Mersmann
- Social Chair – Amanda Ayres
- Community Interests – Katie Hastie (elected)
- Block Captains
- Special Community Projects
- Membership Recruitment
7:52 Andy – Call to Action
- Membership increase
- Website Development and Information
- UHNA focuses on quality of life
- Business Sponsors
- We now have 9 corporate sponsors
- Beau Jo’s is giving UHNA $250 in sponsorship for the picnic
- Andy would like to see a Cross Walk on the West side of I-25
- Andy is now a “Denver Days Ambassador”
- Will contact Traffic Dept. to discuss
- Andy would like to have a whole week of block parties during Denver Days
- The city will block off a street at no cost during this time
- Would like to have Annual UHNA Picnic during Denver Days from this year forward. It helps us financially and a great way to meet people in the neighborhood.
8:02 Andy Adjourned the Meeting